Tuesday 6 January 2015

Have Yourself a Merry "Little Christmas"

Today I brought down the plastic storage bins from the attic, and began taking down the Christmas decorations.  This is always a bitter sweet chore for me. Sad that once again, my favorite time of the year just flew by, but also looking forward to the new year, like a new beginning.  In Ireland,  the holiday season does not end with New Year's day, but is stretched on a little longer until the 6th of January.  The Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas, is recognized for the arrival of the three kings.  Here it is celebrated as "Little Christmas" or "Women's Christmas". Traditionally this is the day all the decorations come down, and after all the hard work that has been done throughout the Christmas season, the girls get a night out.

Back home, we always did all the un-decorating the day after new years day, but after my first Christmas in Ireland many years ago when I attempted to pack away Christmas before the 6th of January, I was met with abounding protests. I was even told it was bad luck! Now, after all these years, to put away the decorations any earlier seems premature. So for today, away with the decor and begin to move forward into the new year!

Merry Little Christmas, everyone.

Catherine Hughes Teahan


  

1 comment:

  1. Catherine - I hope you had a lovely Women's Little Christmas and that you were spoiled rotten. Even in America I leave my decorations up until the Twelve Days of Christmas are over. Old ways die hard.

    ReplyDelete